Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Really? Are women/girls really as wedding-crazy as the world likes to pretend?

So I was watching part of the show 10 Things I Hate About You (don't judge, it's not nice and How I Met Your Mother wasn't on last night) and the younger girl, who can't drive, but is in high school, so I guess she's like 15 was talking to her friend and told her she was on her Maid of Honor shortlist. What?! Who does that? At 15? Maybe everyone else does and I'm the only girl who never sat around planning a wedding or thinking about it, not even when I was little and girls supposedly ran around wearing pillowcases as veils, if Monica from Friends can be believed. The closest I ever come to thinking about weddings is when Rachel gets all OCD about planning something or other and then I tell her that when I get engaged, I'm just going to call her and know that in about a week she will have all the plans made (bonus: I totally trust her judgement and her knowledge of me, so I wouldn't even have to give her much, if any, direction!). Win-win, for me.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Wait a minute! So the only thing you think about weddings is me being nuts??? I guess I understand that :) I never thought about my wedding. Mostly because up until I met Dave I didn't think I would have one. And then we didn't have one... however I did plan our "reenactment" in about 2 days, so I got you covered there. Thanks. And I do not think the show is generalizable to the greater population therefore it's external validity is highly questionable.

Andrea Benz said...

No, I don't think you're nuts! I love that you are so organized and focused. Also, yeah, you are probably right. But it's not just that show. It's pretty much all shows and movies that contain the merest hint about a wedding. Oh, those crazy women, all they think about is weddings and babies! Or not so much, but thanks, jerks. Find something actually funny to write about, not stupid generalizations that are so cliche they aren't even funny.

Ginger said...

I never wore a pillowcase on my head pretending it was a veil, but I did wear tights on my head and pretended to be a rabbit. I don't think that counts. I'm about to turn 24, and I have never had friends as wedding/marriage infatuated as they are now. I feel like the only one who is interested in waiting a while. Great post!

Advanced Health said...

Very cool blog design. Love it! Oh, and don't get married. The sex gets totally monotonous after 12-15yrs.

-Ez
http://ezycsh.blogspot.com/

sohel rana said...

The style of your blog design is attractive,you will earn well................
travellingspot

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

your blog is beautyful.

Anonymous said...

You have an interesting blog page here.

Unknown said...

Aww... So cool..
Thanks for sharing it and a huge smile is wide across my face!


Please visit on these keywords :-- light switches | led downlights | led lighting | Designer light switches | wireless light switch

sugarcanelove said...

Dont worry you are not the only one. I was never one of those girls that thought about a wedding. I still don't think about it haha

Iftikhar said...

the post is interesting. keep it up doing the good content. benice massage belt in pakistan | benice massage belt price in pakistan | double motor twin massage belt

şehirlerarası nakliyat said...

Gebze evden eve nakliyat firmamız şehir içi ve şehirler arası olarak ev taşımacılık hizmeti vermektedir. Dilediğiniz kalitede bir taşımayı bizlerle bulacaksınız. Detaylı bilgi için bizimle iletişime geçebilirsiniz.
kurtköy evden eve nakliyat
şekerpınar evden eve nakliyat
içmeler evden eve nakliyat
aydınlı evden eve nakliyat
Orhanlı evden eve nakliyat
Şifa evden eve nakliyat
güzelyalı evden eve nakliyat
esenyalı evden eve nakliyat